Tel: +34 868 991 649

Mob: +34 660 091 156

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.




For all you prospective Spanish property buyers who have been locked down for months with no sun we have some great new for you. It has been confirmed that starting Monday 29th March, the UK’s travel restrictions will include a list of specific “reasonable excuses to travel” outside the country, which includes travel “in connection with the purchase, sale, letting, or rental of a residential property,” according to Public Health England

So you are now Permitted to visit us at Live Med Coast as an estate agent, for viewing residential properties to rent or buy one. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

And to make it even simpler starting next Tuesday 30th March, the Spanish government will be lifting restrictions on flights from the UK! Travellers will still have to show a negative PCR result from a test taken no more than 72 hours before arrival. 

Be prepared:

Need A Mortgage:


Have A currency Account ready:



The Spanish Royal Decree-Law 38/2020, of December 29th 2020, which was published in the Spanish Official Gazette - Boletín Oficial del Estado (BOE), which adopts measures to adapt to the status of a third State of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland after the end of the transitional period provided for in the Agreement on withdrawal of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland of the European Union and the European Atomic Energy Community, of January 31, 2020.

The RDL 38/2020, which entered into force on 1 January 2021, establishes the necessary measures to adapt the Spanish legal regime once the transitional period ended. It includes a specific section dedicated to financial services, which is summarised as follows:

Continuity of contracts

The continuity of financial services contracts (banking, securities, insurance or other financial services) concluded by UK financial entities (mainly including investment firms, credit institutions and insurance companies) before 1 January 2021 will remain valid. The obligations of the parties under such contracts will remain applicable and enforceable.

Licensing requirements

From 1 January 2021, UK authorised entities will be subject to the relevant Spanish legislation and applicable regimes in respect of third country firms. UK entities will have to obtain a new authorisation to operate in Spain in the following cases:

  • to renew existing contracts entered into before 1 January 2021;
  • to amend existing contracts where changes imply provision of new services in Spain or that have an impact on the essential obligations of the parties;
  • when the activities linked to the management of the contracts trigger licensing requirements; and
  • to sign new contracts.

The RDL 38/2020 expressly states that the activities derived of the management of the contracts entered into before 1 January 2021 that are not under the first three cases mentioned above shall not trigger new authorisation. In this regard, UK entities would need to verify carefully whether their business in Spain involves any of those cases in order to take appropriate measures to obtain the corresponding license to operate in this country.

Temporary permission

Authorisation or registration initially granted by the relevant UK competent authority to UK entities shall temporarily maintain its validity until 30 June 2021 with the purpose of carrying out the activities needed to complete the termination or assignment of contracts entered into before 1 January 2021 to an entity duly licensed or passported to provide financial services in Spain and in accordance with the contractual provisions.

In Spain the FX supervisory authority is:

  • the Banco de España (Bank of Spain) authorises and supervises entities providing banking services);

The Bank of Spain will have supervisory powers and may request UK entities to provide documentation and/or information or request certain steps to be taken, if needed.


If an entity fails to comply with the requirements imposed by the Bank of Spain, the temporary permission could cease to apply. In that event, the Bank of Spain as appropriate, will inform the UK entity that an activity which triggers a licensing requirement in Spain is being carried and, accordingly, Spanish penalties or sanctions may apply (which can lead to the imposition of very serious sanctions).

What happens next?

The Bank of Spain will adopt measures, as necessary, to ensure the legal certainty and safeguard the interests of financial services clients who could be affected by the withdrawal of the UK from the EU.

UK entities must ensure that: (i) all provisions applicable in Spain are duly complied with and that indications imposed by Bank of Spain are properly followed and that (ii) provision of financial services is only carried out by entities duly authorised or passported in Spain, which must be included in the relevant registries of the Bank of Spain.

Post Brexit Currency Transfers

For all Britons owning a home in Spain ( European Union) as from 1 st. January 2021 cannot stay for more than 90 days in anyone one period of 180 days. It is also important to realise this does not soley apply to Spain but in fact it applies to all countries in the Schengen area that you may visit. Which means for instance you own a home in Spain but take a 21 day holiday in Italy and a mini break of 3 days to Ireland, those 24 days reduce the time you can spend at your holiday home here in Spain to 66 days in the 180 day period.

Jan 31st. 2021 Anthony Duggan (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.)

(This is correct at the time of posting)


Brexit, currency transfers and the law

As we adjust to life post-Brexit there are many things to consider, but if you need to move money abroad there is one particular change that it’s essential to be aware of.

The free movement of services came to an end at the close of the transition period, with service providers instead having to comply with the different rules of the EU member states in order to operate legally.

Of particular note to people making international money transfers is the fact that UK financial service firms lost their financial services passports on 1st January 2021.

What is a financial services passport?

Before Brexit the ‘passporting’ of financial services meant that firms were able to operate in the European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) under a UK-based licence.

For example, a company authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) in the UK could use this licence to work with customers based in any other country in the EEA.

However, as the UK has now lost these passporting rights, any financial services firm (including currency transfer providers) must have a valid EU licence if they want to continue working with customers in the EU/EEA.

The Royal Decree

On 29th December 2020 the Spanish Royal Decree-Law 38/2020 was published.

This Decree outlines measures for the adaption to the status of a third State of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland after the end of the transition period.

The Royal Decree came into force on 1st January 2021 and includes a specific section about financial services and how firms from that sector can work with customers based in Spain moving forwards.

According to the Royal Decree:

‘From 1st January 2021, UK authorised entities will be subject to the relevant Spanish legislation and applicable regimes in respect of third country firms. UK entities will have to obtain a new authorisation to operate in Spain.’

The Bank of Spain (Banco de España­) is the FX supervisory authority in Spain and can impose penalties on any currency providers who fail to comply with the decree in order to safeguard the interests of customers. 

Understanding equivalence

You may have heard some discussions in the media about ‘equivalence’ – whereby the European Commission can open up market access for some UK-based service providers.

The European Commission can grant a country equivalence if it views the country’s laws as being similar in intent and purpose to the laws of the EU, but it can also withdraw equivalence on 30 days’ notice if the situation changes.

While this is good news for some sectors, financial services are subject to different equivalence regimes and the level of access offered is far narrower than passporting permitted.

It should also be noted that equivalence operates in fewer areas, covers fewer services and is less secure than passporting.

International currency transfers are one of the financial services not covered by equivalence, so the provider you use must still have a valid EU licence if you’re going to continue working with them. 

What do you need to know?

Any currency transfer provider offering their services to customers based in Spain must be regulated by a relevant EU authority.

If they aren’t licenced appropriately and in accordance with the Royal Decree they cannot renew contracts with existing customers or solicit new customers. They must also have concluded working with existing customers based in Spain by 30th June 2021.

If you’re using a currency transfer specialist to move money to or from Spain and they haven’t sent you any communications regarding a change of licencing post-Brexit, get in touch with them to find out whether or not they have a valid EU licence. This is a simple question and something they should be able to answer instantly.

As mentioned previously, this licence must be with a relevant EU-based regulator, like the Bank of Spain (Banco de España), and your provider should be able to tell you their licence number. 

If your provider is only authorised by the FCA they will be unable to continue servicing your requirements from June (and should inform you of that fact) so you will need to find a new currency transfer company in order to ensure the security and continuity of your payments.

When switching providers find a currency company that is licenced to operate in Spain. You may also want to check things like their online reviews, whether or not they’ve won any industry awards and when they were established.

You may find that by moving providers you actually end up working with a company whose customer service and range of products is better suited to your needs, so start looking into your options now.

Residents of Spain choosing a currency exchange company post-Brexit

If you don’t currently have an FX company to work with and you’re a Spanish resident, please ensure you only enter into an FX agreement with an EU regulated FX company. As a Spanish resident you won’t be covered by the FCA or Bank of Spain post-Brexit if you enter into a new contract with a non-EU regulated company.



Here You have basic information for getting a Mortgage in Spain.


  • Loans up to 70 % of the valuation/purchase price (the lowest value).
  • Mortgage term 25 years  (age limit 70 years)
  • The variable interest is can be as low as 2,25 %  
  • Mortgage opening fee 1%
  • Early redemption 1% (from capital paid off).
  • House/Life insurance to be contracted with the lending bank
  • The mortgages conditions will depend on your incomes, debts and value of the purchase.


  • Passport and NIE number.
  • Personal details (full address, civil status, number of children under 18, contact details, telephone and email address).
  • Professional details (profession, current position, name of the company your work for, what the company does, how long, and any extra information you can provide)
  • Last 3 pay slips
  • Bank statements ( last 3 months that shows pay slips and mortgages payments )
  • Credit report (report that shows, all mortgages and loans in your residence country)
  • Latest full year official , income tax declaration, wages payslips…etc.

PROPERTY Being purchased information

  • Property purchase contract.
  • Land Registration property details.
  • Payments receipts( Last Ibi )


All the above is given as a guide and is correct at the above date. All cases are treated individually and on there own merit. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.